Schooling at Coomera commenced on 11 July 1873. The Coomera Provisional School was commenced on that day with 16 pupils in attendance.
Coomera State School has the distinction of being the oldest school in Coomera and local suburbs. Over the past 140 years other schools in Coomera have opened and closed and schools have once again re-opened.
In the early years, a number of small primary schools were established to service the various communities in the area:
• Coomera State School (1873 - present)
• Coomera Upper State School (1876 - 1964)
• Maudsland State School (1879 - 1963)
• Guanaba State School (1930 - 1942)
• Fern Hill State School (1910 - 1914)
• Oxenford State School (1987 – present)
• Helensvale State School (1984 – present)
• Upper Coomera State College (2003 – present)
• Coomera Springs State School (2008 - present)
• Coomera Rivers State School (2011 – present)
The history of the local area has been dominated by a number of forces. In the early days, settlement and various primary industries, later transport and the crossing of the Coomera River, the South Coast Road (Pacific Highway and now M1), Dreamworld and recently residential development influenced the history of the area.
The Coomera River was and still is a major feature of the local area. The river starts at Mount Tamborine and winds its way through the fertile plains to Moreton Bay. The Coomera River has been a formidable obstacle to land transport as well as an aid to water transport. In the early days, the river was crossed via a rocky ford plus a network of ferries. Over time rail and road crossings have been constructed and later duplicated or replaced by the modern and major crossings of the South Coast Rail, M1 and east and west Service Road crossings.
Quick historical facts:
• There was an earlier version of the South Coast Rail line. A station was established at the Coomera Ferry Township and also at Oxenford. This was established in 1889 and continued until 1960s.
• The Coomera area was influenced by floods in the 1890s and also in 1974.
• Many local residents served at the major World Wars. A local war memorial is established at Upper Coomera to recognise the local servicemen who paid the supreme sacrifice in World War 1. Anzac Day at Upper Coomera remains a major community event each year.
• When Maudsland State School closed, the school buildings were moved to its current site in the school and these continue to be used to this day for classrooms.
• The first road bridge over the Coomera River opened on the 14 June 1930. This bridge is currently used as the eastern Service Road crossing and was used as the major crossing for the Pacific Highway for many decades.
• Electricity was installed in 1944
• Forestry Projects were a big part of schools for many decades. Many plantation pine trees were planted in the school. These trees continue to dominate the local landscape.
• Preschool operated at the school between 1980 and continued until replaced by Prep in 2007.
• Special Needs Support commenced in 1988 and today the school has a Special Education Unit and Early Childhood Intervention Unit.
• Dreamworld was opened in 1982 next to the school. For many years, a rollercoaster zipped around adjacent to the school oval. This rollercoaster has now been replaced by White Water World
• Year 6 and 7 students have travelled on the annual Canberra trip since 1990
There are many significant local families who have been involved with Coomera State School over the decades. There are still descendents of some of these families in the local area. Some are acknowledged through the naming of local streets and other local features. A number of past students went on to lives in politics, business, and modelling as well as all imaginable pursuits.
The history of the Coomera area has been intertwined with the history of the school in many respects.
Two school buildings are currently named after long serving staff members.
Erna Harle Resource Centre is named after the original library aide for the school
and The Terry Howard Administration Building is named after the long serving school principal, Mr Terry Howard.
Source: Coghill, Gloria, (1998): 125 Years of Schooling on the Coomera 1873 - 1998).